We all love the cheeky Friday Feeling, and the perfect end to the week is picking up your phone and hitting the “Order” button, it is just heaven, that feeling of not cooking and pigging out! But, if like me you might feel that the Friday Feeling is now getting a bit too tight around the belt area, then I have added my favourite “Fakeaway” options for you!
Why not share with me your favourite “Fakeaway” recipes, drop me an email…
Fake Away KFC
Phil Vickery’s Homemade finger lickin’ sin free chicken is definitely on the top of my list! Just make sure you have the windows open for this one though…
- 8 large Chicken Thighs; Boneless or on the bone with the skin off
- 220mls of Buttermilk or Yogurt
- 1 level tbsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp of Thyme
- 1 tbsp of Cumin
- 2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 level tsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 225g of Plain Flour
- 4 Medium Eggs
- 150ml of cold water
- Sunflower Oil’ to fry
- Place the chicken legs into a bowl and add the buttermilk or yoghurt and salt and mix well, leave for 1 hour or ideally, leave overnight
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 6
- Place the oregano, thyme, cumin, peppers and flour into a medium bowl and mix well
- Whisk the eggs together with the water
- Take the chicken pieces out of the buttermilk and wipe off the excess. Place the leftover buttermilk into eggs and water and whisk well.
- Dip each thigh into the flour and spice mixture to lightly dust, remove from the flour and place on one side
- Then dip each piece of floured chicken in the egg mixture, shake off any excess then put back into the flour mixture to coat – it’s best to do this stage one piece at a time, otherwise you’ll get very messy!
- Heat a pan of vegetable oil about 2-3cm deep to about 175°C, or test with a small piece of bread – when it browns within 30 seconds you’ve reached the right temperature
- Add 4 chicken pieces and fry for a 4-5 minutes then carefully turn over and cook on the other side until golden brown – the oil should only come just halfway up the sides of the chicken
- Place a wire rack onto a baking tray, then place the browned chicken on the wire rack
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for about 15-20 minutes
To find out more: https://www.itv.com/thismorning/food/fakeaway-kfc-chicken-phil-vickery-recipe
These sin free take away favourites are guarenteed to give you a taste of pleasure with no pain!
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 100ml Cold Water
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Malt Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Good squeeze Tomato Puree
- 250g Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- Squeeze Honey
- Make-Up 1/2 pint cold water
- 900ml Vegetable Oil for cooking
- Cook Chicken – Allow to cool – Cube
- In a side bowl put 1 tbsp Self Raising Flour and Salt & Pepper.
- Coat meat in seasoned flour and put ot one side.
- Prepare the Batter: Add the flour, Salt and Water and whisk. Leave for 5-10 minutes. Then add 1/2 tsp Vegetable Oil and whisk. Oil makes the batter shiny!
- Prepare the sauce: All ingredients into a saucepan and stir over a medium heat. When thickened put to one side.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan until boiling.
- Once the oil is hot, dip the chicken into the batter once piece at a time and drop it into the oil. Do a maxium of 5 balls at a time.
- The balls will come to the surface and begin to turn golden. Using a slotted spoon, turn them until even in colour.
- Each batch should take 4-6 minutes.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Serve with the sauce and enjoy!
Note: This dish can also be done with Pork and quantities can be doubled!
Prepare yourselves to fall in love with the Big Mac all over again with this fakeaway copycat!
- 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- ½ white onion, finely chopped
- 400g beef mince
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sesame seed burger buns
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
For the Big Mac sauce:
- 300g mayonnaise
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tsp mild mustard
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Combine all the ingredients for the Big Mac sauce in a bowl.
- Add salt to taste, then place in the fridge to chill until the main burger is ready.
- Chop your dill pickles, lettuce and onion down until you are left with small chunks or slices. Season the mince with salt and pepper, then form into four equal-sized balls. Once these are finished, flatten them until you have four circular patties, each one measuring around 6in across.
- Fry two patties at a time in olive oil for around two minutes on each side.
- While frying, lightly toast the hamburger buns under the grill.
- Assemble your burger, placing the cheese slices underneath the patties, and enjoy.
Want to see more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/11290887/how-to-make-your-own-mcdonalds-kfc-greggs-and-nandos-fakeaways-at-home-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown/
The new way to add a little faux to your sweet tooth. These dinky doughnuts are the perfect treat for your taste buds and waistline.
- 140g Self Raising Flour (1 Cup)
- 190g Plain Yoghurt
- 900ml Oil
- Glaze for the Doughnuts: 250g Powdered Sugar (2 Cups)
- 75g Butter
- 3-4 tbsp Milk
- 1tsp Vanilla
Note: You can use substitutes such as 112g Milk instead of Yoghurt. And you can use 140g Plain Flour with 1.2 tsp Baking Powder / Soda.
- Place the oil into a saucepan and heat until it is boiling…or, if you prefer, place a small piece of bread into the saucepan for at least 30 seconds or until it goes golden crispy brown and then you know it is done.
- Mix the ingredients for the batter into a bowl, and then spoon the mixture into the boiling oil, just like you would see at the beach!
- You will see the doughnuts begin to turn golden brown.
- Then remove them with a slotted spoon and then smother them with your sugar or any sauce you want…